Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 REVIEW

2013? That was so yesterday

It was a year in which I wrote 30 fewer blog posts than I did in 2012. The year I forgot my diagnosis anniversary. The year I started focusing on other stuff. Stuff I haven't felt a need to write about. And that, my peeps, is progress. (For me.) 

I did review the 50 posts I managed to pen in 2013, and found a few snippets to highlight here...

To recap, here is why:
 As much as I try to add some levity, it has been a shockingly, unbelievably awful year for too many others that I know. So I'm sending some V.B.H. {{{very big hugs}}} to.


  • Karen the Commenter, whose husband Hugh died suddenly in May. Still swimming in grief, Karen was then diagnosed with a second cancer: uterine.
  • Shannon of Green Monkey Tales, who was diagnosed with a second cancer as well: rectal cancer in May. A few months later she learned that her marriage died.
  • Catherine of Bumpy Boobs, who learned in July that her breast cancer had metastasized.
  • Katy of Katy Did Cancer, who also discovered in July that her breast cancer had recurred. 
 Everyone has a story. While those mentioned above were dealt devastating news in 2013, many others have been dealing with the devastation of Stage IV cancer all year long. These lovely folks include Lisa and Ann and Jan and Scorchy and T.K. and Lori and Jody and Kate. I could (unfortunately) go on and on. Please, check out my "RENN'S FAVORITE 'BIG C' BLOGS" section on the right side of this blog. You'll find links to these and many other fine bloggers. Show your support by reading their words, leaving a comment, and learning from their journeys. 

 Finally, I would like to pause to acknowledge the passing of four breast cancer bloggers in 2013 who touched my world:

15 comments:

  1. Great posts all. I particularly needed the one about anxiety today.

    A very happy new year to you and may 2014 bring us all good things.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria, and wishing the same for you! xo

      Delete
  2. Ugh, Renn - I feel exactly the same way. Hoping for joy in 2014...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Holly! Im going to try and pick up more of the joyful pebbles so the 'ugh' rocks aren't all alone.
      ;-)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Renn!!! Keep doing what you do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Renn... I hope this year is a much better year for all of us... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2014 to you, Launna! May it be full of fun!

      Delete
  5. A great roundup of a perfectly shitty year. Renn, a happy new year to you. May we all have happier things to blog about in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, my dear Renn,

    what time and effort you put into this post! I read all your recaps on why you blog, as well as the comments. it is astounding to see the profound impact of the sheer numbers of the issues you've tackled, then brought to light, and the far-reaching scope of how what you write about so very astutely gives such relief and validation to so many who are suffering in so many ways.

    may all your good wishes for us written with such compassion and caring come back to you, dear - many times over!

    much love and light to you,

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renn 2014 has to be a better year. I would just like to erase nearly 365 days of 2013 pretend we skipped a year. Have a do-over if that were possible.... Great Blog.... Love Alli...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dear Renn. Your blog posts always move and inspire me. I haven't had time in 2013 to read as many as I would like, but I am striving this year to connect more. You are one of the most compassionate people I know, always thinking of others. May this year find you and yours in a vibrant state. You are not measured by how many blog posts you write in a year, but how many people you touched. And you have touched many, believe me! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice tribute Renn. I'm off your list....was it something I said? More likely something I didn't say. LOL; keeping it real is getting harder every day. Keep blogging...the more voices addressing the ignorance, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee! You are back on my list! I'm not sure what happened! Def. not anything you said or didn't say! Thanks for pointing it out. I had some blog issues recently (which included my mistakenly deleting *dozens* of photos linked to my posts so now I have these white and gray orbit blobs where images used to be, OY!). Anyway, I am off to visit your blog next. And yes, the more voices addressing people's ignorance of cancer, especially late stage, the better! {{{hugs}}}

      Delete

Your comments are encouraging — and encouraged!