Thursday, April 5, 2012

EKPHRASIS

The WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month continues today with a prompt to write an ekphrasis inspired by the image I see when I click on flickr.com/explore.


First things first. What the heck's an EKPHRASIS? According to Merriam-Webster: "A literary description of or commentary on a visual work of art." OK, so it's like an art review. I can do that. 

"Anshan steelwork slag tipping" by Frühtau (China)
But I also have to tie it into the purpose of this blog. (Fingers crossed that I get a good image.) I click on the Flickr link and this is the photo I see: 
I don't know about you, but this picture (and the metaphors that so easily spring from it) pretty much sums up my cancer experience. 

I'm minding my own business, traveling along the locomotive that is my life, when I suddenly find my caboose on the edge of a dark mountain that is no longer stable. When the word cancer is uttered, my world crumbles into shards of coal. A surgeon's knife cuts my flesh and hot molten tears spill from deep inside. 

Clearly I'm a train wreck with an engine that's run out of steam.

3 comments:

  1. you are sooooo great with words....

    it also looks to me that 99% of the train is pretty much intact...

    and to quote Geology.com :

    "Throughout its history, Earth has been repeatedly hit by large asteroids. When these asteroids strike the earth extreme temperatures and pressures are produced.
    The high temperature and pressure conditions of such an impact are more than adequate to form diamonds."

    ...just saying.
    xoxoxo
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathi: ;-)

    @Anonymous: Ha! Thank you for that insight. Some days I'm the diamond; some days I'm the train wreck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are encouraging — and encouraged!